Drum Major Auditions
Taft Raider Band 2020 Drum Major Auditions
Hello, and thank you for your interest in applying to be a Taft HS Drum Major for the 2020-2021 school year. The position of drum major is seen as being the most prestigious student leadership in the band. These students represent the band program, their school, and their staff at ALL times- both on and off the field. Due to us not being able to meet in-person for these training and audition sessions, we will be submitting all of the application data online and doing interviews and auditions via video chat with the directors. Your audition will consist of the following:
- Complete the "Intent to Audition" form here due by April 8th at 12 PM (Noon). No late entries will be accepted.
- Complete the drum major digital binder which includes the leaders contract, application essay questions, and handbook and email to Mr. Astorga, Mr. Soto, and Mr. Mills at our email addresses no later than 12:00 PM (NOON) on FRIDAY, APRIL 10.
- Attendance with a parent at the mandatory drum major audition info meeting on APRIL 13th at 6:30 PM via Zoom, along with a signed audition contract given at this meeting.
- A video conference interview with the band staff.
- Submission of teacher evaluations via google docs from all of your non-band teachers, completed by teachers no later than APRIL 15th.
- Conducting 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 patterns and prepared music.
- Attendance at all of the digital drum major training sessions.
Please see the following resources to be completed and turned in prior to their assigned due date:
See the following conducting training videos created to help teach you the fundamentals of conducting:
- Part I - The Stance
- Part II - The Table and Frame
- Part III - Conducting Basic Time Signatures
- Part IV - What is an Ictus?
- Part V - The Moving Ictus - Changing between Time Signatures
- Part VI - Dynamics
- Part VII - Cueing
- Part VIII - Conducting at Slow and Fast Tempos
- Part IX - Cut-offs
- Part X - Facial/Body Expression and Emotion